- Duration:14 Days
- Ends:Bruges (Belgium)
- $5,490 per person, twin share
- Single supplement Not Available
What our guests say
Thank you Bruno & Christine for a wonderful tour. In a few word “Buonissimo” our Northern Italian walking tour was a smorgasbord of breathtaking scenery, compelling history, cultural insights, fine Italian cuisine and wines and many captivating Italian characters all superbly packaged and led by you both.
– Ellis & Bronwyn
A big thank you for taking us on such an adventure as our Italian Viaggo. Every day was amazing and every walk had its “oh my goodness” effect, we just loved it. Walking gave us such a sense of achievement and of really being in Italy.
Many thanks, what a fantastic adventure in a country I would never have explored had it not been for you. I admire your organisation, hospitality and breadth of knowledge.
Many thanks for a wonderful trip. Somehow you organised perfect weather, magnificent wilderness trips, a bus full of congenial people and good accommodation and food. Your warmth and friendliness made the whole time especially enjoyable. Looking forward to our next trip.
– Bill & Helen
Thank you so much for the great trip. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The standard of the tour was excellent, the accommodation was great as were the extra activities. We really enjoyed the morning teas and picnic lunches and most of all we enjoyed your friendship and care for the comfort of your passengers.
– Ian & Rona
In 2020 join Bruno & Christine Corletto along with 22 fellow travellers on this once in a lifetime tour through Western Europe. Avoid crowded European highways by travelling aboard the comfortable floating hotel canal barge – Quo Vadis. Follow the network of historic canals winding through beautiful rural landscapes and stroll or cycle the cobbled streets of quaint villages along the way.
We cruise from Amsterdam to Bruges on the historic canal system. You can choose to do the optional cycling excursions along tow paths, cycle ways and village streets or spend leisurely days in the lounge or on deck watching the pretty scenery pass by from our comfortable barge.
Unpack once, settle in to the homely facilities of the Quo Vadis, enjoy delicious meals and interact with the small group of travellers and crew.
Cycling itineraries are leisurely with time to stop for a coffee or beer allowing us to soak up the experiences along the way.
Our itinerary also gives a wonderful opportunity to visit some of the main WW1 battle sites and to learn more about and honour those who served on the Western Front.
For Full Tour Details please click on the following link; 14 Day Europe BIKE & BARGE_Amsterdam-Bruges
Please note that our 2020 Barge Tours are booked-out however the 2021 program is currently under development so please call or email us to register your interest for 2021.
Additional Travel Notes
CANAL BARGE FACILITIES;
Our home for this tour is a beautifully refurbished canal barge Quo Vadis with comfortable air-conditioned twin share en-suite cabins for 22 passengers plus crew. It has spacious lounge/dining areas and an outside sundeck. Meals are beautifully prepared and presented by our on-board Chef and the bar is well stocked and prices are very reasonable. Wi-fi is limited but free. The vessel is skippered by the owner who involves himself with his passengers and ensures that everything is ship shape. Because the barge is small with a retractable wheelhouse it can access some of the narrower canals and can fit under some of the lower bridges meaning we can travel the canals less travelled unlike the larger river cruise operators.
Cycle touring is a major part of this itinerary and is the best way to really experience and enjoy the flat lowland countries we will travel through. Daily rides are led by a guide at a steady pace allowing ample time for coffee/lunch stops and a quiet beer here and there etc. The rides are varied passing through farmlands, forests, pretty villages and towns, along canals and levy banks of rivers with windmills etc. They can be from 20-50kms in length. Bike & helmet hire are included in the tour cost however for the less regular rider, a limited supply of E-Bikes (electric bikes) are available on-board and can be hired at an additional cost. Each bike is equipped with weatherproof saddle bags, water bottle and holder, lock, and have chain gears.
Getting to Amsterdam/Departing from Bruge (Belgium);
Amsterdam & Bruges are easily accessible by rail from almost anywhere in Europe. London is about 3.5hrs by fast train from Bruges with one change (Brussells) and costs approx $100. Other cities within a similar range include Paris and Frankfurt.
- Enjoy the company of your fellow travellers and crew on-board the very comfortable Quo Vadis Barge boat, a beautiful & classic Canal Barge exclusively booked for Bishops Adventures. Unpack once and return to your “Floating Hotel” each day to relax over a refreshment in the lounge or sundeck before savouring a delicious 3 course meal prepared by our own chef
- Overnight tie-ups in interesting and typical Dutch & Flemish medieval towns & villages allowing leisurely evening walks or cycles into town after most of the day trippers have gone
- Guided bike excursions along mostly flat paths & trails enjoying charming towns & peaceful landscapes
- Experience the enchanting city of Bruges, one of Europe‟s best-preserved medieval gems known as “Venice of the North” & enjoy exploring its cobbled alleyways & picture perfect squares & canals
- Enjoy time in Amsterdam to discover some of the many sites and attractions of this fascinating city
- Visit the UNESCO declared “Kinderdijk” & see the row of 19 windmills built in the 18th century
- Day tour to Villers-Bretonneux WW1 Military Cemetery in France with an accredited English- speaking Battlefield Guide. Visit the recently opened Sir John Monash Centre & be moved by the words & actions of our Australian Troops.
- Day tour to the Somme & experience other Western Front battlefields where our Aussie troops served including the symbolic Menin Gate in Ypres to join the stirring evening Last Post ceremony